1. Luther’s Theology of the Cross. Martin Luther’s Theological Breakthrough (Blackwell: Oxford, 1985); paperback edition published January 1990. Second revised edition, 2011.
2. The Making of Modern German Christology. From the Enlightenment to Pannenberg (Blackwell: Oxford, 1986).
3. “Reformation to Enlightenment (1500–1800)”, in P. D. L. Avis (ed.), The History of Christian Theology I: The Science of Theology (Eerdmans: Grand Rapids, Michigan, 1986), 105-229. [Book-length article].
4. Iustitia Dei. A History of the Christian Doctrine of Justification (2 vols; Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1986; paperback edition 1989, 1991). Second edition (in one volume) 1998. Third edition, completely revised, 2005. Fourth edition to be published in 2020.
5. The Intellectual Origins of the European Reformation (Blackwell: Oxford, 1987); paperback edition, 1992. Second edition, completely revised, 2003.
6. The Genesis of Doctrine (Blackwell: Oxford, 1990). Second edition: Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1997. The 1990 Bampton Lectures, Oxford University.
7. The Renewal of Anglicanism (London: SPCK, 1993).
8. The Foundations of Dialogue in Science and Religion (Oxford: Blackwell, 1998).
9. Thomas F. Torrance: An Intellectual Biography (Edinburgh: T. & T. Clark, 1999).
10. The Unknown God: Searching for Spiritual Fulfilment (Oxford: Lion Publications, 1999). This was voted the best book on Christian spirituality published in 1999 by the influential journal Christianity Today.
11. In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible (New York: Doubleday, 2001).
12. A Scientific Theology: Volume 1 – Nature (London: T. & T. Clark, 2001).
13. A Scientific Theology: Volume 2 – Reality (London: T. & T. Clark, 2002).
14. A Scientific Theology: Volume 3 – Theory (London: T. & T. Clark, 2003).
15. Dawkins’ God: Genes, Memes and the Meaning of Life. (Oxford: Blackwell, 2004). 2nd edition, substantially revised and updated, 2015.
16. The Science of God: An Introduction to Scientific Theology. (London: T. & T. Clark, 2004).
17. Christianity’s Dangerous Idea: The Protestant Revolution from the Sixteenth to the Twenty-First Century. (San Francisco: HarperOne, 2007).
18. The Dawkins Delusion? Atheist Fundamentalism and the Denial of the Divine. With Joanna Collicutt McGrath. (London: SPCK, 2007).
19. The Open Secret: A New Vision for Natural Theology. (Oxford: Blackwell, 2008). The 2008 Riddell Memorial Lectures, University of Newcastle.
20. A Fine-Tuned Universe? The Quest for God in Science and Theology. Louisville, KY: Westminster/John Knox Press, 2009). The 2009 Gifford Lectures, University of Aberdeen.
21. Heresy: A History of Defending the Faith (San Francisco: HarperOne, 2009).
22. Mere Theology: Christian Faith and the Discipleship of the Mind (London: SPCK, 2010). North American edition published as The Passionate Intellect: Christian Faith and the Discipleship of the Mind (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2010).
23. Surprised by Meaning: Science, Faith, and How We Make Sense of Things. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2011.
24. Darwinism and the Divine: Evolutionary Thought and Natural Theology (Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2011). The 2009 Hulsean Lectures at the University of Cambridge.
25. Mere Apologetics: How to Help Seekers and Skeptics Find Faith. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 2012.
26. C. S. Lewis – A Life. Reluctant Prophet, Eccentric Genius. Carol Spring, IL: Tyndale, 2013.
27. The Intellectual World of C. S. Lewis. (Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2013).
28. Emil Brunner: A Reappraisal. (Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2014)
29. Inventing the Universe: Why We Can’t Stop Talking About Science, Faith and God (London: Hodder & Stoughton, 2015). Published in North America as: The Big Question: Why We Can’t Stop Talking About Science, Faith, and God (New York: St. Martins Press, 2015).
30. Re-Imagining Nature: The Promise of Christian Natural Theology (Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2016).
31. Enriching Our Vision of Reality: Theology and the Natural Sciences in Dialogue (London: SPCK, 2016).
32. The Great Mystery: Science, God and the Human Quest for Meaning (London: Hodder & Stoughton, 2017).
33. The Landscape of Faith: An Explorer’s Guide to the Christian Creeds. London: SPCK, 2017.
34. Mere Discipleship: Growing in Wisdom and Hope. London: SPCK, 2018.
35. The Territories of Human Reason: Science and Theology in an Age of Multiple Rationalities. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2019).
36. A Theory of Everything (That Matters). A Short Guide to Einstein, Relativity and the Future of Faith. Carol Spring, IL: Tyndale, 2013. UK edition, London: Hodder & Stoughton, to be published in October 2019.
37. Narrative Apologetics: Sharing the Relevance, Joy, and Wonder of the Christian Faith. To be published by Baker Academic in November 2019.
My books have been translated into the following languages: Arabic; Chinese (both Cantonese and Mandarin); Croatian; Czech; Danish; Dutch; Farsi; Finnish; French; German; Greek; Hungarian; Icelandic; Indonesian; Italian; Japanese; Korean; Lithuanian; Norwegian; Polish; Portugese; Romanian; Russian; Spanish; Swedish; Turkish; and Vietnamese.